Sunday

Sebastian's Voodoo vs. 9

I just saw '9' over the weekend and it reminded me alot of Sebastian's Voodoo (which I saw first).


Sebastian's Voodoo was a very moving short animation. I thought it was essentially perfect for what it was.

Had I seen Shane Acker's short film '9' before I saw the feature film, it could have been in contention with Sebastian's Voodoo. But sadly, that was not the chronology of events.

'9' makes a better short than it did a feature length film. The movie was pretty good but the ending was lacking. In fleshing out the characters and plot of '9', the whole film lost an element of curiosity and allure. Now that I know the who/how/what/why of it all, I am disappointed in the ending. It made me wish I hadn't know. Then I saw the short film at the end of the DVD and wondered why they decided to flesh it out at all. The 9.58 minutes was much better.

Anyhoos, I hope they don't make a feature film on Sebastian's Voodoo because that would ruin it. And also, you should still check out '9' because it's good up until about the last fourth and that three fourths is still worth a viewing. And ALSO, I love short films, animated and otherwise. If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

No comments: