Sunday

Hike, Hut, Ho!

I am always extremely excited and proud to see paddling sports gain any media attention. As some readers know, I paddle dragonboat, but I also started paddling outrigger. So you can see why I'm so excited to have been introduced to the following trailer for a documentary about Hawaiian paddlers crossing 1600 miles from island to island on a 6 man outrigger.

Beyond the Reef

I'd like to add some personal notes about things mentioned or shown in the trailer.
1) Their 6 man outriggers have seat covers that zip up around their waist to prevent water from flowing in since they're paddling rough ocean waters. Unfortunately, I have never sat in one of those. boo

2) They are paddling 1600 miles which is extremely ambitious since the longest races I've heard of are only 19 miles and already very exhausting.

3) You see them switching paddlers from off the large boat but during our races, we do water changes. This requires having paddlers in the water and hopping out while they hop in. It's cool to see.

4) At 1.52 you see the steersman in the back, that's what I do! Except I'm not as good as him.

So anyhoos, since this was a big long post basically recruiting people to paddle, here is the link to my team that practices in Redwood City.

Hui Waa


Hui Wa'a on the water

Hui Wa'a preparing to warm up

another team flipping over

No comments: